Saturday, October 20, 2012

Innocence of the Young

 
Innocence In Being Young

 

So my three little cousins, triplets, came over the other day. They are all in Kindergarten and the most adorable little kids ever. While they were over I noticed one of them, Tyler, drawing shapes with crayons on a piece of paper. For some reason, I thought of the Secret Agent. I know what you’re thinking, why the heck did a little kid drawing make me think of a book like that. Truth is, we have been doing the paper on Stevie and his innocence, and my little cousin reminded me of this. I did not think much into this at first, it was just a quick thought, but I ignored it, and became distracted by other things going on with the other two kids. However, in sitting here, trying to figure out what I could possibly right this blog on, I remembered the instant, and thought it might make an interesting topic to blog about. So here is what I came up with. The reason I thought of Stevie when watching my little cousin, wasn't because Tyler was sitting there only drawing circles, in fact there wasn't a single circle on the whole paper. It was the look on his face, the focus in his eyes. He was taking his drawing very seriously, in fact, so seriously that, when he would "mess up" he would get frustrated, attempt to crumble the paper, and start all over. What his mistakes were, I have no clue, every new drawing was entirely different so I really have no clue what he was going for. Whatever it was though, he was failing. Just while thinking about it now, I sort of imagine that is what Stevie was like while drawing his circles. Intently focused- on each singular circle at a time- like nothing else in the world mattered. I guess one could say that this alone is the characteristic that defines us as being young. It is a word that, while primarily associated with age, and being called "young", it can also refer to the level of our minds. Stevie may not be "young" age wise, but because of his brain, and the mental challenges he faces, he is restricted from having the ability to entirely observe what is going on around him. In a sense, he is blind. His blindness makes him innocent. And his innocence is what makes him young. My little cousins are the most innocent little things ever, they look on Ty's face when he finally felt like he had created and finished his masterpiece, all ready to show it off to the world, to hang it on the fridge like it was created by Divinci himself, that look he had, that beaming smile, that was priceless. I almost imagine Stevie having that same look when he knows he has done well, when he does something right and Verloc is happy, or at least not mad, at him. He knows Winnie will be happy as well. Making other people happy is what he wants to do, he is loyal to anyone present at the time. this makes him innocent, almost like my little cousins, and this is what makes him special, a character of importance, because when innocence is abused, when Stevie dies, a moral crime has been committed. It is as horrific as if a baby was killed instead. This is, although maybe not a main theme, in the book, definitely a theme, and definitely important

1 comment: